The DR-40 captures up to four tracks from built-in, high-quality condenser microphones, XLR mic or line inputs. The internal mics are adjustable from XY to AB position, helping you to tailor your recording to the sound of the room. A pair of great-sounding TASCAM microphone preamps welcome condenser microphones with phantom power, recording at up to 96kHz/24-bit resolution. It accommodates balanced XLR or 1/4" line inputs using locking Neutrik Combo jacks. The DR-40 accepts SD or SDHC cards up to 32GB, and a 2GB card is included.
Once recorded, play back your takes with EQ and the optional Level Align feature to avoid volume jumps. A stereo reverb effect is also built-in, as well as a speaker and chromatic tuner. Transfer recordings to computer using the USB 2.0 jack. Other features include overdub mode, variable speed playback, limiting and low cut filter, and much more - all with TASCAM's simple-to-use interface. No other recorder makes home or live recording as simple as the TASCAM DR-40.
The four track recording mode gives you several options to record. DUAL records a stereo signal with a copy of that stereo signal at lower level, giving you a safety track you can use in case the main recording is distorted. 4CH records the sound produced by the built-in mics along with a pair of external mics, like close-up and ambient microphones. Play along with a recording you've already made with OVERDUB, to build up to a full production or song demo.
"Although the D40 is, first and foremost, a stand-alone stereo recording device, when it's fitted with external mics it performs four-track recording effortlessly." - Sound On Sound
Features and Specifications
For help finding the right TASCAM recording device for you, please download the comparison sheet PDF from the link below.
- Recording Media: SD card (64MB - 2GB), SDHC Card (4GB - 32GB)
Recording and Playback Format
- WAV/BWF: 44.1kHz/48kHz/96kHz, 16/24 bit (Stereo or Mono)
- MP3: 44.1kHz/48kHz, 32k/64k/96k/128k/256k/320kbps
- Power Consumption: 2.5W Max
- Battery operation Time: 15 hours (continous operation, phantom power off)
- Dimensions (mm): Mic Closed: W 70 x H 155 x D 35, Mic Open: W 90 x H 155 x D 35
- Weight: 213g (without batteries)
- Number of channels: 4 (2 stereo)
- Playback Speed Control: 50-150 without changing pitch
- Built-In Microphone: Cardioid Condenser Microphones, supporting both X-Y/A-B mic settings
Ext Mic/Line In
- Connector: XLR/TRS Combo Jack (1: GND, 2: HOT, 3: COLD)
- Input Impedance: 2.2 kOhm (MIC) / 10 kOhm (LINE)
- Nominal Input Level: -19dBV (MIC) / +4dBu (LINE)
- Maximum Input Level: -3dBV (MIC) / +20dBu (LINE)
- Line Connector: 1/8 (3.5mm) Stereo mini-phone jack, unbalanced
- Headphone: 20mW + 20mW (32 Ohm loaded)
- Built-In Speaker Output: 0.3 (mono)
- USB: B-type
- Power: 3 x AA Batteries, USB bus power, Optional adaptor
- Power Consumption: 2.5W (MAx
- Included Accessories: 2GB SD Card, Mini USB Cable