the legend, the revolution
The AT4033 cardioid condenser microphone has been considered an essential product in most professional recording studios since 1991, when it became the first high-quality studio microphone released for under £1000, at a time when most competing products were retailing for around £2000. The internal electronics of the original version have been somewhat modified with the arrival of the AT4033a, as has the capsule suspension system, in order to maximise the reduction of any adjustment noises or vibrations. With its low noise (17dB SPL), high sensitivity and high tolerance to high sound pressure levels (up to 155dB with the 10dB pad), the AT4033a has an excellent quality / price / performance ratio that remains competitive to this day.
- Transformerless circuitry virtually eliminates low-frequency distortion and provides excellent transient response
- Low-cut filter 80 Hz, 12 dB/Octave
- Precision-machined, nickel-plated brass, acoustic element baffle provides enhanced element stability and optimal sensitivity
- Open acoustical environment of the symmetrical housing assembly minimizes unwanted internal reflections
- The 2-micron-thick, vapor-deposited gold diaphragm undergoes a five-step aging process so that the optimum characteristics achieved remain constant over years of use
- AT8449 shock mount included
- Made and assembled in Japan. Lifetime guarantee*
“adapted to high pressure accoustics”
Even without using the 10dB attenuation pad, the wide capsule can absorb sound pressure levels up to 145dB without more than 1% total harmonic distortion (THD). With a transformerless balancing circuit the AT4033a provides excellent transient response.
“warm and flattering sound”
The AT4033a produces a warm and flattering sound that brings the versatility of a dynamic microphone, as well as the transparency and detail of a high-end capacitor model for a vintage effect.
“manufactured for quality”
With its matte black body, AT4033a is discreet. The capsule is protected by a two-layered grille. A fine acoustic foam layer is located between the grille and the capsule, to alleviate plosives and sibilance as much as possible.
|Element||Fixed-charge back plate, permanently polarized condenser|
|Frequency Response||30 - 20,000 Hz|
|Open Circuit Sensitivity||-32 dB (25.1 mV) re 1V at 1 Pa|
|Maximum Input Sound Level||145 dB SPL, 1 kHz at 1% T.H.D.; 155 dB SPL, with 10 dB pad (nominal)|
|Low Frequency Roll Off||80 Hz, 12 dB/octave|
|Dynamic Range||128 dB, 1 kHz at Max SPL|
|Signal-to-Noise Ratio||77 dB, 1 kHz at 1 Pa|
|Phantom Power Requirements||48V DC, 3.2 mA typical|
|Dimensions||6.69" (170.0 mm) long, 2.10" (53.4 mm) maximum body diameter|
|Output Connector||Integral 3-pin XLRM-type|
|Accessories Included||AT8449 shock mount for 5/8"-27 threaded stands; protective carrying case|